Western Region Ringette League 2018/2019
CONSTITUTION OF THE WESTERN REGION RINGETTE LEAGUE
1 - NAME
1. This organization shall be known as the Western Region Ringette League, herein after referred to as the WRRL.
2. The Western Region Ringette League shall have the power to accept donations, set membership fees, impose fines and sanctions.
3. Upon dissolution, any funds remaining in any bank accounts in the name of the WRRL shall be donated to Western Region Ringette Association (WRRA) to further the sport of Ringette.
ARTICLE 2 - AIMS and OBJECTIVES
1. To promote, govern, and develop the playing of Ringette as a mass participation team sport within the boundaries of Western Region, with an emphasis on sportsmanship and fair play.
2. To provide a venue for all associations, within Western Region, to participate in the sport of Ringette, regardless of the size of their association and without regard for their players' skill level.
3. To provide levels of competition that are fair and equitable for all member associations in an effort to stimulate public support and spectator interest in the game of Ringette.
4. To remember at all times that Ringette is a sport for the players.
5. To hold the safety and well being of the players above the outcome of any game.
6. To exercise a general supervision and direction over the playing interest of its players, bench staff, officials and executive with the emphasis on the enhancement of sportsmanship, excellence of team play, character and citizenship.
7. To abide by the Ringette Canada Official Rules as adopted by Ontario Ringette Association, Western Region Ringette Association and the WRRL.
8. To abide by and conform to the policies, procedures and rules of Ringette Canada, Ontario Ringette Association and Western Region Ringette Association.
ARTICLE 3 - MEMBERSHIP
1. Membership in the WRRL is open to all Western Region associations who agree to abide by and comply with the Constitution and Policy, Procedures and Rules of the WRRL. In order to be a member of the WRRL, associations must be registered and in good standing with the Ontario Ringette Association (ORA) and Western Region Association (WRRA) as well as the WRRL. Any out of region teams that wish to apply to participate in the WRRL may do so in writing to the Secretary and membership will be subject to the majority vote approval of the Executive. Out of region teams will not have voting privileges.
2. WRRL players must be registered with the ORA prior to participation in any WRRL activity.
3. An annual fee for each team participating in the WRRL will be set by the Executive at the first meeting of the season. Such fees are to be non-transferable and non-refundable and payment is due as per deadlines set at the first meeting of the season and no later than October 31st. Any payments made after October 31st are subject to a monetary penalty determined by the Executive.
4. The Executive upon majority vote, has the right to sanction any association, team or individual of the WRRL for conduct that is deemed to have a negative impact on the league and the sport of Ringette. An association also has the option to remove themselves from the league at any point in time but must be done so in writing detailing the reasons for their departure.
5. The League will consist of two Divisions each with two Conferences. A detailed structure of the WRRL is attached in Appendix A.
ARTICLE 4 – MEMBER ASSOCIATIONS AND EXECUTIVE
1. Each of the Member Associations in good standing shall have one vote at all general meetings of WRRL. At the Annual General Meeting (AGM), the Member Associations shall elect, from their membership, the following executive positions: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, Western Division Commissioner and Eastern Division Commissioner. The Past President shall carry a vote on the Executive for one year. Each association may only have one (1) elected representative on the Executive at any given time. The Executive will also include the following non-voting members: League Scheduler, Referee-in-Chief and Statistician. A WRRA representative will be designated as a voting member of the Executive.
At the inception of WRRL, the following positions will have 3 year terms: President, Vice-President, Eastern Commissioner. The following positions will have 2 year terms: Secretary, Treasurer, Western Commissioner.
Subsequently, the term commitment for each executive position shall
be for a two year term with a maximum of two consecutive terms.
3. Vacancies on the Executive may be appointed by the Executive and ratified by the Member Associations at the next regularly scheduled meeting.
4. General meetings shall be held as required but there must be a minimum of four meetings throughout the year including the AGM. All meetings are public meetings open to any member, official, bench staff, player or parent of any Member Association.
5. A quorum shall be deemed present when a majority of the Member Association’s voting representatives are in attendance.
All correspondence is to be channeled through the Member
Associations' representatives only. This includes protests,
schedules, and/or rule changes which may occur during the course of
7. Any member of an association may act as a proxy on behalf of their association representative if authorized in writing by that association's President.
8. In addition to general meetings, the Executive shall hold its executive meetings as needed. Each executive member shall be given ample notification of the meeting. A quorum is a simple majority of voting executive members.
9. The WRRL Annual General Meeting is to be scheduled during the month of April prior to the WRRA Annual General Meeting.
ARTICLE 5 - DUTIES OF THE
1. The President shall preside at all meetings and is further charged with the general management of the affairs of the WRRL. The President shall be responsible for informing the membership as to the time and place of all general meetings. The President shall be responsible for informing all executive members as to the time and place of all executive meetings. The President is an ex-officio member of all committees. The President will ensure that the league is represented at all Western Region general meetings.
2. The Vice-President will, in the President's absence, perform the duties of the President with all powers and restrictions which apply to the President. The Vice-President shall be the chairperson of the Grievance Committee and as such is charged with overseeing the administration of the committee as set out in the Grievance Policy.
The Secretary shall keep an accurate record of the minutes of all
general meetings and executive meetings. The Secretary shall provide
a copy of the previous meeting minutes to each executive member
and/or Member Association. The Secretary shall be custodian of such
records and/or articles belonging to the WRRL, shall keep them safe
until the term of office is expired, and is responsible for passing
such records on to the next Secretary.
4. The Treasurer shall keep full and accurate accounts of all receipts and disbursements of the WRRL in proper books of accounts. The Treasurer shall deposit all monies "to the credit of the WRRL" in such bank accounts as approved by the Executive. The Treasurer shall give a report at each general meeting and shall provide a financial report at the AGM. Annually, the financial records of WRRL shall be reviewed/audited by someone approved by the Executive and the results of the review/audit provided to the membership. All cheques must bear two signatures.
5. The Western/Eastern Division Commissioners shall look after all issues involving their respective Divisions and will act as a liaison between their Division’s teams and the Executive. They will deal with all minor issues that may occur from time to time within their respective Divisions throughout the season but if these issues become significant they are to advise the Executive immediately. Division Commissioners will also chair reseeding meetings that may be required to determine level of play within particular age divisions.
6. The Past President shall provide the President and Executive with advice.
7. The League Scheduler shall co-ordinate the scheduling of all league games.
8. The Referee-in-Chief shall deal with all matters pertaining to officiating.
9. The League Statistician shall co-ordinate the collection, compilation and publication of game results.
10. The Executive is empowered to determine and enforce disciplinary actions and rule on all decisions as required.
ARTICLE 6 – COMMITTEES
will form the following committees:
1. The Grievance Committee shall be chaired by the Vice-President or any other member of the executive in their absence and is charged with the handling of all grievances and complaints by any association relating to play within the WRRL. In addition to the Vice-President the committee will consist of two (2) non-partisan association representatives to be determined on a case by case basis. All grievances must be reported to the committee in writing as per the policy set out.
2. The Rules Committee shall consist of no fewer than four and no more than six member representatives plus the President or designate who shall chair the committee. The Referee-in-Chief and League Scheduler shall act as resources as required.
3.The Executive may form any other standing committee or ad hoc committee as required.
4. All committees are to keep meeting minutes and present them to the Secretary along with their report to the Executive.
ARTICLE 7 – OFFICIATING AND RULES
1. The responsibility to train and supply on ice-officials rests solely with the Member Associations. The WRRL will not be responsible for the assignment of these duties or payment of fees for these duties. All on-ice officials must be registered officials with the Ontario Ringette Association.
Timekeepers, Scorekeepers and Shot Clock Operators:
2. The responsibility to train and supply timekeepers, scorekeepers and shot clock operators rests solely with the Member Associations. The WRRL will not be responsible for the assignment of these duties or payment of fees for these duties.
The league will function within the game rules of Ringette Canada,
Ontario Ringette Association, Western Region Ringette Association
and Western Region Ringette League.
ARTICLE 8 - CONSTITUTION
1. Changes to the constitution shall only be made at the Annual General Meeting by a two thirds majority vote of the voting membership present.
Proposed changes to the constitution must be submitted by March 15th
to the Secretary and publicized
to the membership two weeks prior to the AGM.
ARTICLE 9 - PROTECTION OF
1. Every Director or Executive of an Association within the WRRL or other person who has undertaken or is about to undertake any liability on behalf of the WRRL and their heirs, executors, administrators and estates and effects respectively from time to time shall at all times be indemnified and save harmless, out of funds of the league from and against:
a) all cost, charges, and expenses whatsoever which such Director or other person sustains or incurs in or about any action, suit, or proceeding which is brought, commenced or prosecuted against him or in respect of any act or deed, matter or thing whatsoever made, done or permitted by him in or about the execution of the duties of his office or in respect of such liabilities.
b) all other costs, charges, and expenses which he sustains or incurs in or about or in relation to the affairs thereof except such costs, charges or expenses as are occasioned by his own willful neglect or default.
2. No Director, Executive member or Officer of the WRRL shall be liable for the acts, receipts, neglects, or defaults of any other Director, Executive Member or Officer or employee or for joining in any receipt or act for conformity or for the loss, damage or expense happening to the League, or loss or damages arising from the bankruptcy, insolvency or tortuous act of any person, firm or corporation with whom or which any moneys, securities or effects shall be lodged or deposited or for any loss, damage, or misfortune whatever which may happen in respective office or trust or in relation thereto unless the same shall happen by or through his own willful act or his own willful default.
WESTERN REGION RINGETTE LEAGUE STRUCTURE
Talbot Trail Ringette
Huron Perth Ringette
North Waterloo Ringette